Thursday, June 14, 2007

Stick a Fork in Him -- He's Done

Where's a vote of no confidence when you need one?

At times I think that it's a real shame that we don't live in a parliamentary democracy, because if we did we would have rid ourselves of this pathetic disgrace we call a president by now.

Bush's poll numbers are close to being as low as any president's have ever been since they started polling. 29% of Americans now approve of the job he's doing. 66% of Americans disapprove.

Those are the lowest numbers that any president has had in more than 50 years.

Even Ann Coulter, that usually reliable right-wing skank, has had it with Bush over the immigration issue. When she makes idiotic jokes about Bush's drinking instead of about Teddy Kennedy and Chappaquiddick, you know there's been a sea-change in conservative thinking on this president.

This administration has so dumbed-down the definition of success in Iraq that I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed that, if one American serviceman is still breathing on Iraqi soil by Labor Day, the surge has been a success.

This administration still has roughly another 19 months to go before they're replaced by Democrats who will know what they're doing, whether they're lead by Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama or, as I profoundly hope, Al Gore. But what are we going to do until then?

And who are those 29%? Aren't you curious? Wouldn't you like to meet someone who feels that George W. Bush is doing a fine job and see if they can manage to wriggle their way out of the strait-jacket?

Inquiring minds want to know.

But in the meantime, I think we all just need to hold tight and just do what we have to do to survive these next 19 months. But I have to tell you, January 20, 2009 can't come soon enough for me.

Tom Moran

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Christina said...

And who are those 29%? Aren't you curious? Wouldn't you like to meet someone who feels that George W. Bush is doing a fine job and see if they can manage to wriggle their way out of the strait-jacket?

My relatives who are Bush-supporters rely on what they think are "moral values." Bush says he's pro-life, they vote for him. Someone's a lifelong Republican because the GOP appear tough on criminal justice, that person doesn't care about the war, economy, appointments of incompetents, suspicious attorney firings.

I've griped to friends on my own journal that I can't put myself in the mind of a Bush-supporter, and they tell me that it's not my fault. Sometimes I think that it's a personal failing I can't see what the 29% of people polled see. I've been in the country for eleven years: I understand fiscal conservatives, I understand the business mindset. I do not understand Bush-supporters. I can tell you that my Bush-supporting relatives have not graduated from a four-year college, have declared bankruptcy (so much for fiscal conservatism), have married and divorced but have no children (so much for family values -- why not OK ALL OTHER non-breeders to be legally wed? No married couple I know feels threatened by same-sex unions.)

My husband tells me there are many Americans who don't think, who don't read anything other than TV Guide, who don't know their rights and liberties are being eroded. Me, I tend to give the Americans more credit: WHAT do these 29% know about solutions to the trade deficit, the sinking dollar, the growing scarcity of oil and our dependence/addiction on it, the housing bubble, the impending 'retirement era' for baby-boomers and its result on the markets, environmental desecration, healthcare and education costs rocketing past the grasp of the middle class, that the 71% of us don't know? Where are they sharing this information? Cotillions? Southern Baptist revivals? NASCAR events?

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Tom Moran said...

Just about any president, no matter how bad, can enlist the support of about 1/3 of the electorate. Bush's base (the majority of that 29%) consists of hard-core evengelical conservatives who will support him no matter what he does because He Loves The Lord.

They may strike you as idiots, and they may be idiots, but neither you nor I have a chance in hell of changing their minds.

They think the Bible is literally true, too. That should tell you something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home