Friday, May 04, 2007

You Had Me at "Chrestomathy"

Sad news today.

"Gilmore Girls" is no more. The CW has canceled the show. The episode of May 15th will the final one.

Those of us who enjoy snappy, well-written dialogue being delivered impeccably by hot looking babes will miss "Gilmore Girls." I remember seeing the very first episode, and when Rory Gilmore mentioned H.L. Mencken's "Chrestomathy" I was instantly hooked. How can you not like a show that makes Noam Chomsky jokes. Noam Chomsky, for Chrissake!

Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel will go on to bigger and better things, no doubt. But I will miss the snappy pseudo-intellectual patter of "Gilmore Girls." It was smart and funny and it was about people who read books. You don't get a lot of that on network TV nowadays.

Tom Moran

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was sad to see this show go. It's one of the very few programs on TV that remained fresh and funny over a long period of time and never talked down to its audience. I still enjoy finding reruns of it when I can.

There are a few good comedies left on American television, but I find that even the best of these ("The Office", "30 Rock", well, the whole NBC Thursday night lineup) have an incosistency to them, especially with more recent episodes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home