Saturday, September 01, 2007

He Put The "Ho" in Idaho

Senator Larry Craig of Idaho is going, if media reports are correct (and when are they not?), to resign his Senate seat later today.

Over tapping his foot in the stall of a men's room.

Okay, we all know that it was more than that. Craig was most likely cruising for some gay sex in a public toilet, which offends some people, particularly Republicans. It's another lovely example of Republican sexual hypocrisy in action.

Part of me (the partisan progressive part of me) wants to gloat about yet another GOP hypocrite brought low. But another part of me, the part that believes in fair play and that thinks that consenual sexual conduct between adults is no one else's fucking business and who dislikes the notion of police entrapment, feels that all this is a wee bit much.

Granted, Craig is against gay marriage on moral grounds but has no qualms about blowing or being blown by another man in a men's room -- on one level he deserves what he gets.

But should someone lose their livelihood over something like this? What is this, the 1950s? Do we really want police officers trying to entrap men in toilets?

So I'm torn. On one level I feel sorry for Senator Craig, who should probably just hold a press conference and tell the world: "Okay. I did it. I wanted the big beefy police officer's mighty schlong down my throat. You got a problem with that? Tough shit. I'm still a U.S. Senator and I'm going to remain a U.S. Senator whether you like it or not."

But on the other hand, since he's clearly too much of a hypocrite to say that, I should probably just give him George Michaels' phone number. That should do it, right?

Tom Moran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home